TYPES OF AWNINGS
- Box awnings: it is the mechanism that covers the canvas when it is rolled-up and in this way it protects better the fabric, preserving it from dust, pollution, sun and rain.
- Semibox awnings: it is the same mechanism as the box awnings’ but, in this case, the awning skirt remains outside.
- Without box: the canvas is rolled-up, but it is not protected by any structure or case.
- With visor: aluminium ceiling to cover some parts of the awning.
Different types of awnings regarding the location are explained below:
There are different types of awnings to install on a window:
Folding or fix hood: it is the most commonly used system for windows.
Straight arm awning: they are awnings installed on facades or windows, there are three arm models: with strain, without strain or with semi-strain in different measures and these arms are rigid and fixed. The with-strain-model is perfect for hotels and rented houses due to its high resistance to the wind.
STOR ARM AWNING
We can find the following types of awnings:
- Cape: indicated for balconies, they are awnings whose folding arms placed in the drop tube of the awning and fixed to the railing. This system allows us to put the awning in two positions: vertical or projected. The first one, giving us the highest protection and the second one, easing the view of the outside and the entrance of air, and besides, avoiding the overheating of the balcony.
- Folding arm awning: they are roller and extensible awnings that can reach an inclination of up to 90º, achieving a great precision and stability. The difference between these two types of awnings and an extensible one is that this one has a sort of arms that when they are folding up, the awning is rolling up at the same time and, in this way, everything is rolled up and the arms are hidden, so we save space on the facade.
Sliding awning: they cover a large area of a terrace, open porch, parking place and so on. These awnings are very multiuse, since we can add to them a wide range of accessories in order to protect from the wind (we can add a vertical wind-stopper awning with or without window or with window cover; a double-canvas ceiling to insulate from heat and water, with inclination, etc.
We have two types of sliding awnings:
- Sliding awnings with simple canvas: they can be made with acrylic canvas, PVC or SUNLESS canvas(micro-perforated.)
- Sliding awnings with double canvas: they are composed of a PVC top-canvas and an acrylic bottom-canvas and a 7 cm chamber between the two canvas. All of this makes this model a perfect one to protect from high temperatures, wind and rain. In case of break or burn of one of this model’s hollows, you just need to change the mentioned canvas piece of about 50 or 60 cm, since they are independent one from each other. However, this is not the case for the simple canvaawnings, that has everything in one piece and the repair will be of the whole canvas.
*Can I choose the fabric I like most or the one that best suits my neighbourhood?
On many occasions, we are obliged to choose the awning that our neighbourhood previously installed.
Tips for choosing a good awning:
There are several interesting points related to our comfort when we choose an awning:
- Solar protection: it is about the protection against the UV rays (or ultraviolet rays) and infrared rays. Our awning should be a proper screen between the sun and us, with a good quality canvas or fabric that block 90% - 99% of the UV and infrared rays. In this way, we avoid the sensation of warmth, a regulated temperature is achieved and we save more energy.
- Visible light: other advantage of acquiring a good awning is reducing the excessive light intensity, which can cause a glare that is damaging to our eyes.
Light density: it is about the reflection, absorption and transmission that occur when sun’s rays touch an object. This causes glare and excessive heat. With a wide density fabric (about 280 g/cm2) we will achieve reducing that sensation and we will provide comfort to our home (to have a nap in summer or rest during the most warming hours) or establishment.
To sum up:
- A good awning will allow us for enjoying more of our terrace or garden, sheltered from the sun and for regulating the temperature of our home to enjoy a better comfort in summer.You can choose among a wide variety of models, with different colours and measures for the fabrics, suitable for different spaces (terraces, windows, balconies, etc.).
Our expert in exterior carpentry gives us the keys to choose the awning that better suits your home and needs.
Our expert in exterior carpentry shows to us how to install a wall awning at home.
Our expert in exterior carpentry shows to us how to install a kit awning with wind-sun sensors.